your embroideries into appliqués or patches with Thermal Stick
a unique, pressure-sensitive, fusible stabilizer. Once heat is applied,
Thermal Stick creates a permanent bond with almost any fabric.
Thermal Sticks specially formulated pressure-sensitive adhesive
keeps the stabilizer firmly in place while embroidering, but at the
same time Thermal Stick makes it easy to reposition multiple pieces
as necessary. Thermal Stick wont gum up your needles causing thread
breaks, needle breaks, or damage to garments. Thermal Stick is machine
washable and dry-cleanable.
To turn a design into a patch or appliqué:
- Trace the outline of the trimmed design on the back of the release
sheet. *Remember that you need to trace or draw the reverse of the
- Cut out the shape along the outline.
- Using a medium temperature iron, fuse the shiny side (not the release
paper) to the backside of the embroidery. The iron should not be set
on steam, and you will need to use between 3 and 6 seconds of dwell
time for a good bond.
- Once it has cooled, peel the release paper from the back of the
embroidery design exposing the sticky side.
- Position the embroidery on the garment and press into place. Using
a press cloth to protect your embroidery, press from the appliqué
side and underneath the fabric/garment for a secure bond. Finish by
stitching around the
embroidery with a satin or straight stitch.
How To Make Appliqué Using Thermal Stick
- Trace the design to be appliquéd onto the protective paper
sheet of Thermal Stick.
- Trim around the image leaving at least ¼-inch border around
- Fuse Thermal Stick to the wrong side of the decorative fabric using
a medium to high temperature setting on your
iron. Fuse for 3 to 6 seconds without using steam. The fusible side
of Thermal Stick is the soft, shiny side. Hold
the iron in place for at least 3 seconds and then flip the piece over
and press again on the fabric side.
- Once cooled, cut out the appliqué design along your trace
- Peel back the protective sheet to expose the sticky surface. Let
the appliqué cool before removing the paper.
- Position the appliqué piece on the garment and press into
place. Press on the appliqué side and the fabric side for
maximum bonding. Finish by stitching around the appliqué with
a satin or decorative stitch or any running stitch.
Tip: Pre-washing your materials prior to using them for appliqué
can allow for a more secure bond.
Test all materials and procedures thoroughly before applying to a finished
If you are interested in purchasing Thermal
Stick Rolls please click
If you would like to purchase Thermal
Stick in precut sizes, please click
Looking for more stabilizers
and backings click here.
Looking for other embroidery
supplies click here.